So here I sit, at 11:30 at night, a load of laundry waiting to be folded beside me on the couch, half of our Christmas presents sitting at my feet waiting to be wrapped, and several different Abby items await my cleaning abilities in the kitchen. But am I tackling any of that? No. Instead, I am sitting on the tiny portion of the couch that isn’t taken up by clean clothes and our tiny dog that always takes up more space than necessary, and I’m brainstorming.
For all you moms of infants, toddlers, and preschoolers out there, I’m betting you know the “Brainstorming!” song from Imagination Movers on the Disney Channel, right? Right? No? Just me? Ok… well, anywho, it goes, “There are no bad ideas when you’re brainstorming!” Gotta love that thought.
So here I am, throwing out ideas, both for this blog, and for the future of my writing in general, and seeing what sticks. So then I got to thinking that I need some input. You guys, my readers, are the people who matter most to my writing. My words mean very little if there is no audience to read them. I have no clue how many of you there are out there. The last estimate of regular readers hovers just over 100, but there have been times that we’ve hit the 200-independent-hits-in-a-day mark. That feels so good! When I started this blog it was just for me. One person. And then, I had a small following of about a dozen or so, reading about my adventures here and there. When I started writing about my pregnancy, the numbers upped to about 3 dozen readers. And now, I can’t believe that EVERY time I post, I get no less than 100 of you.
It is obvious why I get those kinds of numbers these days. It is because this blog went from “hobby writing” to “story telling.” This blog has purpose, now. Our Adventures with Abigail are worth talking about. Worth reading about. And therefore, worth writing about. But within that storytelling purpose, I’ve found other purposes, too. Shout out to the moms who read this blog that I’ve NEVER met before but were sent here, specifically to read about a story just like your own. This blog has brought several of us together to find comfort and support. This fact astounds me. This blog is also a center for information! I’m getting a small following of people interested in the research I do on the world of babies and the “stuff” that comes with them. And there is always the Soap Box. Advocacy is a big deal to me, and this blog is slowly but surely becoming a place to learn about preemies and micro-preemies and the road we all travel under that title.
I gotta say – I’m PROUD of all of that. But where do we go from here? Here are some of MY thoughts. I’d love for your 2 cents! (Take advantage of that, people – it’s an offer I don’t give very often!!!)
1) Write a Book. While that will take time, it is something I’ve had several of you ask about, and I’m considering it. Seriously.
2) If I write a book, what would be a better read? Our story in Novel form? Or A compilation of stories and information? Or both?
3) For the blog: More about Abigail and her progress? More about Being the parent of a Micro Preemie? More about the research/info I find? Or do you want the cupcake project back? 😉
4) What about starting a forum? A place where parents and families related to these topics can come and chat, find info, gain support?
5) Would you read this blog if there were more about my whole life and less about Abigail?
6) When Abby is “all better” (as in caught up to her peers and “progress” isn’t needed) what do you want to hear about?
7) What about showcasing other stories like ours? Would you like to read about other Micro-Preemie families and their road, in a “Features” section of the blog?
I’m just looking for ideas. Input. Thoughts from the people who make this blog what it is. Let me know what you think!!!